A Clear Choice On The Border
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Doug Ducey Is Leading To Provide More Resources And Manpower To Secure The Border While Improving Cross-Border Trade
PHOENIX — There’s a clear choice this November when it comes to securing our border and growing trade with Mexico. Governor Ducey has led to secure the border, establishing Arizona’s Border Strike Force, calling up the National Guard to support Customs and Border Protection agents, and working with local sheriffs and border residents to provide more resources to stop drug traffickers and human smugglers.
This election, Governor Ducey’s efforts on the border have earned endorsements from the local and national Border Patrol Councils, border sheriffs, the Arizona State Troopers Association, ranchers and border residents, and border mayors from both parties.
Governor Ducey Is Leading On Border Security With Effective Solutions
- Governor Ducey created Arizona’s Border Strike Force, a successful program linking U.S. Border Patrol, state troopers, and county sheriffs to stop drug cartels and human trafficking (Arizona Republic, “Funding boost will increase staffing for Arizona Border Strike Force,” 07/11/18).
- Governor Ducey deployed the Arizona National Guard to the border, where they are stopping dangerous drugs (Arizona Republic, “Troops at Arizona border ports boost inspections, help fight drug trafficking,” 08/03/18).
- Cochise County Sheriff Mark Dannels praised Governor Ducey’s efforts to increase collaboration along the border and help fund a new regional communications center in Cochise County (Sierra Vista Herald, “Working together to improve border security in Arizona,” 9/29/2018).
- Pima County Sheriff Mark Napier credited Governor Ducey’s “depth of knowledge on the issues impacting our border residents” (Ducey for Governor “Arizona Sheriffs Endorse Governor Ducey,” 10/4/2018).
- The Sierra Vista Herald called Arizona’s Border Strike Force “physical evidence that (Governor Ducey) has fulfilled that promise” to protect the border (Sierra Vista Herald, “Border Security Shouldn’t Be Political Issue,” 10/10/2018).
- Reporting shows deploying the National Guard to the border has “increased inspections and freed customs officers to tackle a recent rise in drug trafficking.” (Arizona Republic, “Troops at Arizona border ports boost inspections, help fight drug trafficking,” 08/03/18).
Governor Ducey’s Focus On Improving Trade Has Meant More Jobs For Arizonans and More Effective Trade Coming Through Our Ports
- During the first governor-led mission to Mexico City in nearly a decade, Governor Ducey met with Mexico’s Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Jose Antonio Meade Kuribrena, CEOs, and Mexican ministers of trade, economy, tourism, and customs and revenue to chart a new path for Arizona-Mexico relations (Phoenix Business Journal, “How Gov. Ducey’s Mexico trip opens doors for Arizona businesses,” 6/24/2015).
- Between 2014 and 2017, traffic coming through Arizona’s ports of entry increased 5% for trucks, 11% for cars, and 11% for pedestrians (U.S. Department of Transportation and U.S. Bureau of Transportation Statistics, accessed 9/19/2018).
- Douglas Mayor Robert Uribe (D), Nogales Mayor John Doyle, and San Luis Mayor Jerry Sanchez (D) have endorsed Governor Ducey, citing the governor’s strong focus on improving trade ties with Mexico and adding jobs for rural communities (Ducey For Governor, “Doug Ducey Earns Bipartisan Support from Border Mayors,” 9/18/2018).
- Governor Ducey and Sonoran Governor Claudia Pavlovich have forged a strong partnership that has resulted in multiple successful collaborations on both sides of the border (Capitol Media Services, “Ducey, governor of Sonora vow to work together in age of Trump,” 6/25/2016).
- Under Governor Ducey, Arizona implemented a first-in-the-nation cross-border collaboration to more efficiently and effectively inspect commercial trucks, known as Unified Cargo Processing, which has slashed truck wait times by as much as 85%. (Nogales International, “CBP takes binational inspection program to next phase,” 12/16/2018).
About Doug Ducey:
Doug Ducey is committed to securing Arizona’s future. In his first year as governor, he took a $1 billion deficit and balanced the budget, without raising taxes. He is committed to improving K-12 education, and has added nearly $2.7 billion to Arizona public schools. He’s cut regulations to stimulate jobs and has reduced taxes every year. In addition, Governor Ducey launched Arizona’s Border Strike Force, to enhance security along Arizona’s southern border and stop cartels and human traffickers.